Publications - The Historian
The Historian is the Society’s annual journal. Each volume is a major research work, containing detailed articles on Ku-ring-gai’s history.
Many of these articles cover local history, family history, pioneers, built heritage, land grants and much more. Over recent years, The Historian has included extensive reviews of the early development of parts of Ku-ring-gai, together with narratives of the people who lived at those locations, and the lives they led.
The Historian began publication in 1972, and is a valuable resource for anyone commencing research on the history of Ku-ring-gai.
Each year, the current issue of The Historian is provided free of charge to members of the Society.
The Historian is published based upon research undertaken by our members throughout that year, guided by an editorial group that advises and supervises the research. Would you like to participate in this research? We’d love you to join in – so if you have a keen interest, please get in touch!
Search The Historian Index
Click the button below to access our PDF index covering all editions from 1972 onwards. Opens in a new window – PDF file is 755 pages, 3.3MB
- Using a Mac? Click here first, for an important note about searching The Historian!
- Using a PC? Simply use your web browser’s search facility (Ctrl+F) to find names, places, occupations, etc.
Please note that The Historian is not available in digital format, but if you locate an entry in the Index that interests you, you are welcome to come into our Research Centre in Gordon to view the whole entry or article. You may even discover that we have more information about the topic in our extensive collection! Please make an appointment so that we can be sure to have an experienced volunteer available to assist you when you arrive.
If you are unable to visit, let us know what you’re seeking and we may be able to undertake some research on your behalf. An appropriate fee will be required.
Please follow the links below for enquiries regarding:
- Ku-ring-gai Built Heritage Research
- Ku-ring-gai Local History Research
- Ku-ring-gai Family History Research
If you find an article of interest in the Index and would like to purchase that edition, simply use the Order Form below.
To order back-issues of The Historian:
- Issues up to 1996 (Volumes 27 and earlier) are just $5 each.
- Issues from 1997 onwards (Volumes 28 and later) are $20 each.
- You may pay by EFT or cheque. We do not have credit card facilities.
- For postage & packaging (P&P) within Australia, please add $5 per issue.
- If you need to order more than two issues please contact us beforehand, as we will work out a combined postage rate depending on how many you are ordering. Please either email email@example.com with details of which issues you’d like to order, or contact us via our general Contact Form rather than the form below.
- No P&P applies if you would prefer to collect your order in person from our Research Centre in Gordon, in which case you may also pay for your order by cash or cheque on the day if you prefer.
- Otherwise, your order will be posted after your payment has been received.
If paying by EFT, please use the following bank details:
- BSB: 032083
- Account no: 248971
- Account name: Ku-ring-gai Historical Society
- Please add your SURNAME and the word HISTORIAN to your bank’s reference field
Alternatively please post a cheque, payable to Ku-ring-gai Historical Society Inc, to:
Ku-ring-gai Historical Society,
PO Box 109
GORDON NSW 2072
Once you submit the form, you should receive an automatic confirmation email – if you don’t, please check your spam folder.